September 6, 2024
Explore South Africa on this immersive and engaging once in a lifetime adventure!
See what makes Cape Town such an eclectic destination with its spectacular views from Table Mountain and board a ferry to Robben Island where you will enjoy a private tour. Robben Island is a historic landmark and UNESCO site, where Nelson Mandela was imprisoned for many years. Travel to the Cape of Good Hope and stop at a penguin colony along the way. Take a stroll through historical, charming Stellenbosch and enjoy a wine tasting. Stay at the Shamwari Private Game Reserve, and experience twice daily games drives seeking out lions, elephants, rhinos and an abundance of other wildlife. Sail upstream on the Zambezi River and celebrate the setting African sun and take a guided walking tour of Victoria Falls, one of the seven natural wonders of the world. The walk takes you along the falls, through the magnificent rain forest. Don’t miss this once in a lifetime opportunity!
* Fares are per person, land and inter-Africa air, double occupancy. International air is not included. All itineraries, fares, hotels, programs and policies are subject to change. A non-refundable deposit of $2500 per person is due at time of booking. *Cape Town transfers are based on group arrivals between 5-7 p.m. If there are flight deviations or early arrivals, additional transfer charge may apply. Flights from Johannesburg should not be booked before 8pm. All itineraries, fares, programs and policies are subject to change. Tour, hotels and exclusive amenities are capacity-controlled, based on minimum number of passengers traveling together and may be modified, withdrawn or cancelled without prior notice. Passports are required based on US citizenship, these costs not included. Passport must be valid 6 months beyond return date. Victoria Falls requires a VISA, your travel advisor will have the details. This tour requires average physical activity. Participants should be in good health, able to walk reasonable distances, possibly over uneven ground or unpaved trails. Please consult your physician for medications that might be necessary for travel to South Africa and Zimbabwe. Other restrictions may apply. Contact your AAA Travel Advisor for complete details and information. The Auto Club Group is not responsible for errors or omissions in the promotion of this tour.
Welcome to Cape Town! On arrival, you will be met by an African Travel Inc. representative and transferred* to your hotel. The rest of your day is at leisure.
Table Bay Hotel – Luxury Mountain Facing Rooms – 4 Nights
(*Arrivals must be between 5pm – 7pm for the transfer, other times might be subject to a charge)
Meet your personal driver and guide for the next few days and embark on a day of discovering the ‘Fairest Cape.’ The day begins with a cable car ride up to the summit of the legendary Table Mountain, where you can enjoy breathtaking views of the city.
After descending the mountain, you’ll head to the Cape Peninsula. Hug the cliffs as you snake along legendary Chapman’s Peak Drive to the Cape of Good Hope Nature Reserve. You will have the opportunity to ride the Flying Dutchman funicular to the old lighthouse for awe-inspiring views!
After your included lunch at Cape Point Vineyards, continue along the coast to the lively penguin colony at Boulders Beach. Then head back to the city via the naval village of Simon’s Town. (B, L, D)
Today’s sojourn celebrates the winelands. Learn all about the process of wine making, from grape to goblet. Revel in the scenery…like the charming Cape Dutch architecture of Stellenbosch and the breathtaking beauty of the Franschhoek valley. Take a stroll through historical, charming Stellenbosch, absorbing the quaintness of this lovely university town.
A trip to the winelands isn’t complete without a wine tasting, so a cellar tour and two tastings have been organized at different wine estates. Of course, you’ll be able to purchase your favorite wine to take back home! Enjoy lunch at Delaire Graff Estate.
This evening enjoy dinner at Siba Restaurant back in Cape Town. (B, L, D)
This morning board a ferry to Robben Island where you will enjoy a private tour with Christo Brand. Robben Island is a historic landmark and UNESCO site, where Nelson Mandela was imprisoned for many years. Once responsible for guarding Nelson Mandela, Christo came to Robben Island in 1978 when he was 19 years old and Mandela, 60. Over time, their friendship developed through mutual trust, respect, and kindness. In 1982, Christo was transferred to Pollsmoor with Mandela and fellow prisoners, and for 6 years oversaw them. Upon Mandela’s release, both continued regular contact and Christo eventually worked in Parliament close to him. Christo remained close to Mandela; and at his insistence, authored the book Doing Life with Mandela: My Prisoner, My Friend which chronicles the extraordinary life between them.
Return to your hotel for an afternoon at leisure. There are historic and cultural sites, world-class museums and bustling markets, inviting beaches and lush gardens to visit, as well as great restaurants and wonderful shopping.
This evening enjoy dinner at GOLD restaurant. Feel the heartbeat of Africa, as you embark on a taste safari from Cape Town to Timbuktu. Your evening starts with an interactive Djembe drumming session which will get you in tune with the African rhythms and songs of the night. A soothing hand washing ceremony completes your interactive drumming experience. Dinner is a set course menu consisting of Cape Malay and African cuisine, served by beautifully adorned staff who will explain each dish to you and the country from which it originates. (B, D)
Indulge in an early breakfast before travelling to your reserved lodge at the Shamwari Game Reserve, one of the largest private conservation initiatives in Southern Africa. Stretching thousands of acres over a malaria free landscape, it offers an award-winning wildlife experience. Meaning “my friend” in Shona, the reserve is about conserving a vanishing way of life.
Relax at the lodge until time for your first afternoon game drive with fellow lodge guests. (B, D)
Shamwari Long Lee Manor – Plains Rooms – 3 Nights
Shamwari strives to educate and promote conservation awareness and your ranger will ensure that your experience is both rewarding and informative. Twice-daily game drives throughout the reserve, accompanied by expert guides, provide plenty of opportunities to witness wildlife. Here the graceful leopard, the powerful rhino, elephant, and hippo share the domain with kudu, gemsbok, wildebeest, zebra, hyena and a large variety of smaller game, as well as a paradise of bird, reptile and plant life.
Your game ranger will share expert knowledge of the area and ensure that your experience is both rewarding and informative. Guided nature walks offer another perspective of the fauna and flora around you. Ask your guide about what you can do to help support sustainable tourism efforts. (B, L, D)
At Shamwari, responsible management and long-term ecological sustainability are a priority. Fill your time between game drives with visits to one of the awareness centers. The Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre provides a first-hand encounter with Shamwari’s passionate on-site vets, who care for young, injured, and abandoned animals, which are later released back into the wild.
Shamwari has developed an effective anti-poaching unit over the years. The unit follows a pro-active approach through intelligence gathering to prevent any incidents while simultaneously actively protecting the fauna and flora of the reserve through a dedicated and passionate team. (B, L, D)
Palm River Hotel – 2 Nights
After breakfast, depart on a guided walking tour of Victoria Falls, one of the seven natural wonders of the world. The walk takes you along the falls, through the magnificent rain forest.
Your exhilarating morning is followed by lunch at the Lookout Café, set on the rim of the Batoka Gorge. The Café boasts spectacular panoramic views of the Victoria Falls Bridge and the gorges below. And if you are looking for more excitement, it is also the adventure base for Victoria Falls high wire activity. (B, L)
After a delicious farewell breakfast, you are transferred to Victoria Falls Airport for your onward flight home, via Johannesburg. (B)
(Do not book flights from Johannesburg before 8pm)
AAA EXCLUSIVE HIGHLIGHTS:
- 4 nights Table Bay Hotel, Cape Town
- 3 nights Long Lee Manor, Shamwari Private Game Reserve
- 2 nights Palm River Hotel, Victoria Falls
- 18 Meals: 9 breakfasts, 5 lunches, 4 Dinners
- Arrival and departure meet and greet at Cape Town Airport*
- Arrival and departure transfers from Cape Town Airport to Hotel*
- Roundtrip group transfer from Port Elizabeth Airport to Shamwari
- Roundtrip group transfer from Victoria Falls Airport to Hotel
- Lunch on Cape Peninsula and Cape Winelands Tours with wine
- Private Tour of Robben Island
- Full day excursion to Cape Peninsula with stop at Penguin Colony
- Special Event at Gold Restaurant
- Morning and Afternoon or Evening Game Drives at Safari Lodges
- Intra African Air: Cape Town – Port Elizabeth – Victoria Falls – Johannesburg*
- Luggage Handling on tour (1 piece per person)
- Services of an Expert Local Guide
- Services of a AAA Tour Manager
"Tails" of South Africa (animals we saw on safari from past trips)
Download Your PDF Flyer