June 17 Sold Out ---- Sep 9, 2024 available
June from: $4,039*
Sep from: $3,929*
This 80th Anniversary Tour is packed with experiences relating to the history of this monumental day, you’ll see Britain and France as it was then – and is now
Explore Winston Churchill’s cabinet rooms and the secret underground War Rooms with an exclusive dinner in the Harmsworth room. Visit the Allied headquarters at Southwick House featuring the famous map wall. Cross the English Channel and see Juno, Gold and Omaha beaches in Normandy, site of the D-Day landings. Participate in a wreath laying ceremony at the American Military Cemetery and visit important towns like Sainte-Mere-Eglise before ending your epic march in Paris. Enjoy a free day while in Paris to explore how you wish. This is a moving and memorable experience and we hope you will join us!
* Rates are per person, land only, based on double occupancy. Deposit of $200 per person is Non-Refundable. Rates do not include airfare, air taxes. Hotels, events and itinerary are subject to change. Transfers are included from Heathrow and Charles de Gaulle only on specific dates and times. Events and inclusions listed may be substituted/eliminated based on passenger participation and have no cash value. Passports are required for US citizens and must be valid 6 month beyond return date of tour. This tour requires average physical activity. You should be in good health, able to climb stairs and walk reasonable distances, possibly over uneven grounds. On day 5, one wreath will be laid on behalf of the group. Change and Cancellation fees apply. Contact your AAA Travel Advisor for full details. The Auto Club Group is not responsible for errors or omissions in promotion of this tour.
Upon arrival at London Heathrow Airport, you will have a private transfer to your hotel. Later, join your Travel Director for a Welcome Drink and dinner with wine at a local restaurant.
You will then learn about the Ceremony of the Keys, carried out every night by the Beefeaters, without fail, for the past 700 years. The Yeoman Warder provides a history of the tradition and explains the etiquette of handling the keys before you are privy to witnessing this ancient gate-closing ritual. (D with wine)
Hotel: The Clermont Victoria or similar – 2 nights
Today visit the Royal Air Force Museum at Hendon. Explore the new innovative galleries including the multi award-winning First World War in the Air Galleries, Historic Hangars and Bomber Command Hall.
Later this afternoon, explore Winston Churchill’s underground cabinet rooms and dine in the iconic Harmsworth room. The Harmsworth Room is packed full of history, with electric generators full of dials and switches! The room holds the atmosphere of a wartime bunker yet has all the comforts of a modern venue, making it the perfect space for our memorable dinner! (B, D with wine)
Today, travel to Portsmouth and visit the Southwick House to see its famous Map Wall. In 1944, in the months leading up to D-Day, the house became the headquarters of the main allied commanders, with General Eisenhower, Admiral Ramsay and General Montgomery all based here.
Continue onto the D-Day Museum to see through personal accounts of people who were there and brought to life through stunning audio-visual presentations. (B)
Hotel: The Queens Hotel Portsmouth or similar – 1 night
Travel in the footsteps of the soldiers as you cross from Portsmouth into Caen, France by ferry. Continue to your hotel, perched on the historic coast where the D-Day landings took place. (B)
Hotel: Novotel Caen Cote de Nacre or similar – 2 nights
Today is a free day at leisure to relax or explore on your own. Your Travel Director will offer advice on the many Optional Excursions available. (B)
After breakfast, you will have a private transfer to the Charles de Gaulle Airport. (B)
AAA EXCLUSIVE HIGHLIGHTS:
- 7-nights hotel accommodations
- All transportation by exclusive air conditioned,
restroom equipped motorcoach
- Private Transfers upon arrival (Jun 17 or Sep 9) from Heathrow Airport and on departure (Jun 24 or Sep 16) Charles de Gaulle airport
- Winston Churchill’s Cabinet Rooms
- Dinner in the iconic Harmsworth Room
- Witness the Ceremony of the Keys ritual
- Wreath Laying Ceremony in Normandy
- Traditional Farm-to-Table Dinner at L’Auberge des Monte
- English Channel crossing by ferry
- 11 Meals: 7 Breakfasts & 4 Dinners
- Services of an Expert Local Guide
- Services of a AAA Tour Manager
Download Your June PDF Flyer
Download Your September PDF Flyer